Project Litter Gitter in Central Alabama
For over a decade, a group of organizations has worked together on a plan to install in-stream litter collection devices in Greater Birmingham’s urban streams.
In 2018, Osprey Initiative, the creator of the “litter gitter” device, emerged as a new company, and in December 2019, the first Birmingham litter gitter was installed in Valley Creek, thanks to River Network, Coca-Cola Foundation, the City of Birmingham, and other partners.
In April 2020, the EPA awarded Freshwater Land Trust a $500,000 grant to fund six litter gitters for three years. In summer 2020, six new litter gitters were installed, including one device funded by the City of Homewood. In October 2020, River Network and Coca-Cola Foundation funded another litter gitter in East Lake Park. In December 2020, we installed two litter gitters funded by the Jefferson County Department of Health in Trussville and Brighton, in September 2021, a litter gitter sponsored by ABC Coke, a division of Drummond Company, was installed in Five Mile Creek in Tarrant, and in July 2022, Wells Fargo sponsorsed a litter gitter in a Valley Creek tributary in Birmingham for a total of twelve litter gitters in the Cahaba River and Black Warrior River watersheds.
As of December 2022, over ten tons of litter has been removed from Central Alabama waterways as a direct result of Project Litter Gitter.
To learn more about sponsoring a litter gitter, contact Rebekah Correia at email@example.com.
- Read more about Birmingham’s first litter gitter.
- Check out our case study in the Urban Waters Learning Network‘s story about Managing Urban Litter.
- View our updated 2023 Litter Gitter booklet.
- Watch our Trash Free Waters in Central Alabama film series:
Litter Gitters in the Water
- Valley Creek (Bessemer)
- Valley Creek (Birmingham)
- Valley Creek tributary (Birmingham, funded by Wells Fargo)
- Valley Creek tributary (Brighton Memorial Garden Cemetery, funded by the Jefferson County Department of Health)
- Village Creek tributary (Birmingham – Airport)
- Village Creek (Birmingham – East Lake Park, funded by Birmingham Coca-Cola Bottling Company)
- Village Creek tributary (Birmingham – Roebuck Marketplace)
- Five Mile Creek (Tarrant – Chief Billy C Hewitt Park, funded by ABC Coke, a division of Drummond Company)
- Griffin Brook (Homewood, funded by the City of Homewood)
- Shades Creek (Homewood – Brookwood Mall)
- Buck Creek (Alabaster – Buck Creek Park)
- Pinchgut Creek (Trussville, funded by the Jefferson County Department of Health)
Become a Litter Gitter Getter!
Community support is critical if we want to continue our fight against litter. We need more Litter Gitter Getters, and more litter collection devices, to combat litter effectively.
In 2021, ALDOT spent $7.4 million to clean up trash on roadways, and Alabama was ranked as the 16th dirtiest state in the 2014 American State Litter Scorecard. Getters will help make Alabama a cleaner state.
Getters will be listed as project supporters on this page, as well as on presentations and proposals to potential funders. Getters are also encouraged to help recruit additional supporters.
Thank you to our current Litter Gitter Getters!
Bham Now – Birmingham’s modern media
Black Warrior Riverkeeper
Brighton Memorial Garden Cemetery
Cahaba Brewing Company
City of Bessemer
City of Birmingham
City of Birmingham Stormwater
City of Brighton
City of Homewood
City of Mountain Brook
City of Vestavia Hills
Deep South Outfitters
Drummond Company, Inc.
Eagle Solar & Light
Freshwater Land Trust
Friends of Shades Creek
Friends of Turkey Creek Nature Preserve
Green is Gold Lawn Service
Jefferson County Commission
Jefferson County Department of Health
Let Rivers Flow
Liz Lane Art
Rabolli Environmental, Inc.
UAB’s Department of Sustainability
Village Creek Society
Wolf Creek Creations
Derek Conrad Brown
Dr. and Mrs. Johnny Byrnes
Kathy and Scott Green
Cindy and Cliff Martin
Joe Bear Meadow
José Julián Pérez Cordero
The Rev. Jayne Collins Pool, Rector
Dr. Julie Price, UAB
Jessica and Bradley Sparks
The Scribner Family
Shaheed and DJ Supreme
To learn more or add your name as a Litter Gitter Getter, contact Rebekah Correia at firstname.lastname@example.org.